Saturday, September 18, 2010

On the street

with Bill Cunningham

I hesitate to even bring this up. My fear is that Vaughn will read this and then make us do a video blog. That said, take a look at On the Street Views by Bill Cunningham who documents the people who may be the real stars of New York Fashion Week: the guests. Cunningham’s comments are a real hoot! The music adds a comic interest as well.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/09/18/style/1248069050418/on-the-street-views.html?ref=multimedia


While doing a little follow up on who Bill Cunningham is exactly in relation to the New York Times, I found that he has been a photographer for over 50 years! The first picture he took of someone on the streets of New York was a picture of Greta Garbo. The cut and the quality of her coat caught his attention. The quality and interest in the subject of his picture caught an editor’s eye. The rest is history as they say. His first pictures were of Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney, the king and queen of Spain, a Kennedy in a fox coat. I doubt he thought his first pictures of people on the streets of New York would lead him into a 50-year career of photography!

His words: “I go out every day. When I get depressed at the office, I go out, and as soon as I'm on the street and see people, I feel better. But I never go out with a preconceived idea. I let the street speak to me.”

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyrighted Pictures

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape