Museum of Red River to host kite festival
Published March 25, 2009IDABEL — Kiters: Grab your lines and spars for the fourth annual Mary Herron Memorial Kite Festival at the Museum of the Red River, an official event of the American Kitefliers Association.The action is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. April 4 in the Mary H. Herron Community Conference Center (812 E. Lincoln Road) and includes a full day of workshops and demonstrations.
Kite artist Janene Evard will be a featured guest at the festival. The Ardmore artist will be showcasing more than 20 of her works, including one kite that was the product of a workshop at this past year’s festival.
The schedule for the 2009 festival is as follows:
• 9:30 a.m. — Registration and tour of the kite exhibit (Conference Center lobby)
• 10 a.m. — Kite making workshops: Sled kite
• 11:30 a.m. — Kite-related activites
• Noon — Sack lunch (participants should bring their own meals, no lunch will be provided)
• 1 p.m. — Sled kite flying (three blocks east of the Museum, across from the hospital)
• 2 p.m. — Kite flying demonstration by American Kitefliers Association representatives
• 2:30-4:30 p.m. — All fly: your kites and some of ours.
The cost of the program is $5 per family. All children must be accompanied by an adult. In case of rain, participants will make small kites and fly indoors.The Fourth Annual Mary Herron Memorial Kite Festival is sponsored in part by WalMart Supercenter No. 38 in Idabel and James Hodge Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Inc. of Idabel.
For more information, log on to http://www.museumoftheredriver.org/, call Paulette LaGasse at the Museum at (580) 286-3616 or e-mail motrr(at)hotmail.com.