Monday, May 28, 2012

Weekend in Mexico City

Tripping into the land of 21.8 million people who are living life to the fullest!  Mexico City!
The Fleming Hotel is only $35 a night for a double bed.  It was clean, safe and just down from the Museum of Popular Art.

I think this is called The Palacio de Bellas Artes .  It houses the murals of Diego Rivera.  The entire park (much like Central Park in New York) is undergoing rennovation and was closed off.  I sure wish I could have seen it in all its glory.

If you are ever in Mexico City, have breakfast at Sanborn's House of Tiles.  It is an old home that was converted into a restaraunt and department store.
The walk from Sanborn's to the National Palace reminded me of the Magnificent Mile in Chicago Mexican style. 


 
I've never thought of myself as a groupie but I thinkI would have been one of Frida Kahlo's homies had I lived in the 30's.  Seeing her paintings in person and seeing the sweeping strokes of her brush, the rich choices in color and seeing them hung in the rooms in which they were created was an emotional event for me.  Her "Blue House"  is located in Coyoacán which is now part of Mexico City. 

The Museo de Arte Popular (Museum of Popular Art) was fun to visit.  It is a converted fire station that is now a world clas museum.

You know you are thirsty when you gratefully photograph the water fountain!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyrighted Pictures

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape