I bought Gelb's book this weekend. Even though I've just begun reading it I can tell that it is going to be one of those books I read more than once.
According to the author, da Vinci kept notebooks full of his writings, sketches and reflections. From these notebooks and works, seven da Vincian principals are explored:
- Curiosita- An insatiably curious approach to life and an unrelenting quest for continuous learning.
- Dimostrazion- Willingness to learn from mistakes.
- Sensazione- Continual refinement of the senses.
- Sfumato- Willingness to embrace ambiguity, paradox and uncertainty.
- Arte/Scienza- The development of the balance between science and art, logic and imagination.
- Corporalita- The cultivation of grace, ambidexterity, fitness and poise.
- Connession- A recognition and appreciation for the interconnectedness of all things and phenomena.
The book has questions that are designed to stimulate thinking and inspire you. There is also an annotated reading list and resource guide.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." Leonardo da Vinci