Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The birds in our backyard

I feel so sorry for my sweet husband sometimes. This is a man who reads bird field guides like others read the stock reports. He participates each year in the Audubon Christmas Bird Count and is invited to go with the Pat Mayse Lake park ranger to ride in the boat to count the eagles. This man knows birds.

When we were snowed in on Monday, David took the screen off of our kitchen window and we sat our tripods in the sink with cameras attached to take pictures of the birds who visited our birdfeeder.

Here is why I feel sorry for David. I don't know the difference between a Junco and a Chickadee. And really, I don't care. I care about if they are pretty or not.


David rattles off their names and marks them in his book if they have never appeared in our back yard before or not. But I can tell you that we had so much fun sitting by the sink taking pictures and commenting on the antics of the different birds.

This is what I learned from our bird adventure. Cardinals are polite. All the birds clear out when the Bluejays arrive. They make room for the big boys who are the bullies in our backyard.

I loved the snow and I really enjoyed David's enthusiasm for the birds.

Hope you like my pretty pictures!

























5 comments:

  1. I'd say the second photo is my fave. What I love most is picturing you and David in the kitchen looking out at them as they come and go. I love this story and the pics! Thanks for sharing G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tricia I like the second one too but the third one is awesome too!! and yes...I can see the two of you in that window bird watching...so cute!!! I love you both so much and miss you!!! Dawn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all amazing! I'm so glad you two have come to our meeting and are sharing your knowledge and beautiful photography with us. The background in the last two is wonderful. I guess the delighted looking Blue Jay is my favorite. He looks so happy to be playing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! And the story is even better.....

    ReplyDelete

Copyrighted Pictures

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape